Followers

Monday, July 19, 2010

Pleasing The Wife/ Scrambled eggs with avocado and tomato and Toasted Jalepeno cheddar bread




This is the kind of thing that when I tell people (women), they always say something like,"Oh I need to have a talk with your wife!",  meaning they have to convince her that she should mend her ways. Other people (men) always look at me with a kind of forlorn look as if to say, "Why can't I be you?". The thing about TW is she has to be talked into gifts. I have to literally press her into receiving birthday gifts for example. Since Christmas is such a huge deal in my house, she's resigned herself to that, but for anything else, she's happy if I make her a handmade card (She thinks store bought cards are a waste of money), and  on days when you would expect to exchange gifts like Valentine's Day or our anniversary, she is perfectly content if I suggest a dinner or even a movie instead. Now, don't think I take my good fortune lightly. I realize that this rare blend of frugality and simplicity is not to be taken for granted, so when TW makes a request, I am quick to fill it if I can. Like when she got home from work on Friday last and asked if we could go to the farmer's market for jalapeno cheddar bread, I made plans to rise early so we could drive into the city and visit the weekend farmer's market in Union Square. Unfortunately, we didn't get up early enough so by the time we reached the city, it was impossible to find free parking. After 20 minutes of driving around, I settled for a metered parking spot, threw four quarters in for 40 minutes of parking and we hustled the two blocks walk to the farmer's market. Luckily, we were able to find the stall that sold the bread (Sorry, I didn't get the name of the bakery) and bought a large loaf of this delicious stuff that has flakes of jalapeno pepper, cheddar cheese and corn nuggets baked in. We love it toasted and used to eat it for breakfast all the time. Last year, the bakery wasn't at their stall, so it was great to see them back in business this year, even though they now sell a large loaf of the bread for $12. Anyhow, we bought it along with some tomatoes and basil and got back to the car in time.

 For breakfast on Sunday morning, I fried some chopped onions, then scrambled 3 eggs and added them to the pan. When the eggs were still quite moist, I tossed in a diced avocado and a tomato (also diced). I then plated the eggs along with buttered jalapeno cheddar bread which I had toasted to a golden brown. TW was very happy! And no,  I do not brag to women I know (including my daughters) that my wife is so unlike her American counter parts. Hey! I cook for her.







3 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,

    You are such a star! Your Sunday meal looks tasty and if TW is happy, then everybody's happy. I just read this to my guy (of 37 years tomorrow) and said, "Don't get any ideas!" LOL...that bread does sound extra yummy and tomatoes with anything..what can I say! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never toasted my jalapeno bread before. I am going to give it a try. I know I am going to love it that way. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to start the day. How could your wife not be pleased. Re: parsley - flat parsley does not have the texture needed for this salad. This is one of the few dishes where I use curly parsley. I do agree that flat leaf parsley is way more flavorful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete