Followers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Today's Tip: Dessert

I believe desserts should be limited to once or twice a week. My mom always served fruit after our meals. Dessert was for Sunday afternoons when Uncle Vic would come up for coffee. He said he could smell it from afar. Mom would usually serve something from our local bakery, right across from St. Joe's on Grand Avenue. They had the best crumb buns ever!

This dessert is a fruit based one I devised resembling a crumble. You need a package of strawberries. (Stop and Shop has been selling Florida strawberries that are excellent.) I leave them whole just stemming them, and place them in individual oven-safe dessert cups. Then, I drizzle them with a little sweetened, condensed milk. Meanwhile, I have prepared a crumble mixture of oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. I don't measure. More oats than flour, more flour than sugar, etc. I cut softened, unsweetened butter into this using a fork until the mixture resembles crumbs of wet sand. Sprinkle over the strawberries and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Top it with some whipped cream. Try it, it's good and not too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment