Followers

Monday, March 2, 2009

Today's Tip

I'm excited to go to work today. Saturday, I made Broccolirabe for lunch for my wife and I. She doesn't like it because it's bitter, and not eating meat, can't eat it with sausage the way I love it. So, I cooked it with other textures and attempted to contrast the bitterness with garlic and other "softeners" or "contrasts" of the bitterness. First, I blanched it in a pot of boiling water and diced potatoes (you blanch the Broccolirabe after letting the potatoes get a little done -about 5 min?), then added both to a pan I had begun with extra virgin olive oil (I always cook with it) garlic, red pepper flakes and julienne sun-dried tomato pieces (packed in oil). You have to let all that stuff form into a sauce adding a spoonful of beans for each of your eaters.I think I'm going to do it at work with a little bit of Farfalle in it in place of the beans. Off the heat,drizzle it with your best olive oil , a few more red pepper flakes and a grinding of peccorino romano. Oh yeah, baby!

Yes, my wife ate it and thought it was good. It still tastes like broccolirabe though. Try it if you love broccolirabe.

2 comments:

  1. What? You're mixing potatoes and pasta? That isn't very Italian,is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! The addition of pasta to the dish does seem counter intuitive doesn't it? But this isn't a pasta dish with potatoes. Rather, it is a broccolirabe and beans dish with potato and pasta. The twin starches of potato and farfalle (bow-tie pasta) are a second note. In every serving you might expect to get 4 or 5 pieces of pasta. Try it, you might be surprised!

    ReplyDelete